Friday, November 16, 2012

Time is a Thief.

One metaphor that I prefer to use with students, especially in the high school setting, is: “Time is a Thief.” High school students do not only have to deal with the typical homework assignment deadlines, but also their college related paperwork. Usually, this could involve: ACT testing, college applications, scholarships, grants, other financial assistance, and any other necessary paperwork that’s needed for preparing students for college life. This metaphor could also be used with elementary and middle school students in order to also assist them with their time management and planning skills.

1 comment:

  1. "Time is a thief" and "time slips up on you" are two metaphors that I use alot with my high school students, especially since they seem to struggle with time management issues. I find that seniors that I work with tend to put off filling out college and scholarship applications and then panic as the deadline approaches. I attempt to teach them time management and planning strategies that will carry over into their college years. With smartphones and other tech devices, it is easier for students to stay organized away from the school setting. Getting students to use these time-saving tools is the key. I know I could not survive without my handy dandy pocket calendar.

    ReplyDelete