Sunday, November 4, 2012

Continued Learning as a Professional:



Once I have completed this practicum course, I plan to continue to learn and develop myself as a professional in the field of school counseling. After I acquire a school counseling position in my district, I plan to: 

-Maintain the lines of communication with my professional peers, whom I have already met in my school district.

-Meet with other professional peers in my district. I would like to get to know some of the other school psychologists, school counselors, and therapists in my area and to learn from them.   

-Create and maintain a strong rapport and line of communication with the students, parents, and the teachers at the school.

-Create and sustain a detail school counselor webpage in order to clarify my duties as the school’s counselor.  

-Attending district conferences and other training opportunities to continue my education as a professional.  

-Continue to document any important instances with the parents, administrators, and especially the students.

-Collaborate with parents, teachers, administrators, and any other faculty members at the school on behalf of the students.

-Be involved with some of the professional organizations, such as: American School Counselor’s Association and the Kentucky School Counselors Association. By doing so, I will be able to stay up to date with current issues, studies, research, and findings related to school counseling.  

-Being open to gaining knowledge from my own experiences by working with students.

-Trying out various and developing new guidance lessons in order to help the students.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with your ideas on growing as a counselor. I have noticed that some school districts in the state employ school psychologists. Mine does not. We have mental health counselors who work through a local mental health agency. They are not district employees. I was wondering what the duties of the school psychologist entail. Are they assigned to a specific school or do they work at the district office?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The school psychologist in this area are assigned to specific schools.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good point about collaboration among parents, teachers and others. Keeping every one on the loop is a very important part of the job.

    ReplyDelete